Thursday, October 16, 2008

Where Is My Fiction Headed.....


Writing Fiction is a lot harder than I expected. I am very used to writing Non-Fiction which is easy for me cause all I have to do is draw from my memory and fill in the blanks with my imagination. I've always been able to make up stories, which I am pretty sure I get from my Irish roots. =P But now to try and write a story of substance, that is Fiction, is harder than I imagined. Every story needs to have a good plot (events/action) to move it along which I thought would be easy to come up with because it's not relying on the truth of the past but rather simple imagination. I'm having a hard time deciding what stories are worth writing, how to go about telling the story, what perspective I should tell it from, and where I want the story to go. I think the later is the hardest part for me; I just am not sure where I want my Fiction stories to go. I'm not looking for the next Da Vinci Code but I am looking to write something that people would read or wouldn't mind reading. I'm also trying to avoid cliched stories because that is the last place I want my stuff to end up! Mark Twain once said that "Writers should write what they know". This is something I try to stick to in my writing but writing Fiction makes this harder for me. Then again I guess that is the point. If we never step outside ourselves we will never learn anything new.

1 comment:

A Quinlan said...

Your post really shows why it's so important to be reading a great deal when you are beginning to write--so you can learn what other writers are up to....