Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Aloysius...O'Donoghue...Similarities???


James Augustine Aloysius vs. Deirdre O'Donoghue Kelly Carroll Julia Falt

I just thought instead of posting boring facts about J.J. I would see how his brief synopsis is similar to mine. Let's see how Aloysius matches up to O'Donoghue... (my middle name sounds more Irish already)

James Joyce was born James Augustive Aloysius Joyce in Dublin, Ireland...The same county my relatives are from...Up Dublin! (it's an Irish thing)

Like J.J., I have rejected Catholicism, in certain aspects, but also adore the works of St. Thomas Aquinas.

Unlike myself J.J. was quite a good singer; he even won a bronze medal (no not in the Olympics but that would have been cool) but rather in the Feis Ceoil-that's Gaelic for Festival of Music.

J.J.'s lady was named Nora which just so happens to be my mother's name...I also have a sister named Norah but my mom added the 'h' to it so it would be different from her name.

I was born in 1982...that was the same year the Stephen Joyce burnt most of the letters, that were preserved, of J.J.'s that were between him and his daughter Lucia (these letters were believed to show that Lucia and maybe even Joyce were schizophrenic).

Eugene Jolas, who cared for J.J. in his years in Paris, has the same first name as my sister Siobhan's (in English the name means Joan) boyfriend but he is Italian.

J.J. also suffered from a perforated ulcer whereas, my mother once had a bleeding ulcer...who knew! Thank the Lord my mother's ulcer did not kill her....sorry J.J.

I have frequented Ireland a time or two in my life and I plan to go back a handful of times before I kick the perverbial bucket (keep your fingers crossed) whereas, J.J. chose to never go back. I don't think I could ever right off the most beautiful and awe inspiring place in the world.

http://www.jamesjoyce.ie/

2 comments:

Lacey said...

AWESOME take on this post.


Awesome.

A Quinlan said...

Good job: really fun and informative. I would have loved a tidbit on why you "adore" Aquinas so much. I like especially the detail about that crazy Stephen Joyce burning the letters.... AQ