Thursday, December 4, 2008

Harbor Feels Like Home......



So this semester I had to read a book titled Harbor by Loraine Adams; it's a story about an illegal Algerian immigrant and what he goes through here in the US to survive and what he went through in Algeria that finally made him decide to leave his country. It really was a great book! Once I picked it up it was non-stop reading from then on...I love that about books! =)


I would definitely recommend this book for your not-so-avid reader because most of the story is written from the perspective of Aziz, the immigrant, and since he doesn't really understand anything the style is kind of choppy and short, this was done on purpose by Adams because she wanted to give us a feel for how Aziz sees things. You can see how Adams really writes throughout the rest of the story when she tells it from other perspectives because the writing is so well developed when she is not being Aziz.


I simply believe that if anyone wants to be a writer they have to be a reader!!! Writing is not just something you can stumble upon and come out with a NY Times Bestseller...it's an art form that requires discipline, ability, and knowledge. If a body builder has to train his muscles by lifting weights all day so he can win the best overall physique competition, what would make anyone think they don't have to train their brain by reading books so they can become a professional writer?


Honestly....it really was a great book! It was non-stop action from the minute he dove off the shipping container into the freezing, icy Boston Harbor to the end where you not so sure if he is or isn't a terrorist that may or may not be running from an assortment of agencies....i don't want to give it away hence the vagueness. lol

Anyway, I really enjoyed the book and I can't wait until Adams comes out with her 2nd novel.

2 comments:

WILSON MODELS said...

I totally feel you on the whole reading makes a great writer thing. I just learned that this semester. You really do have to train your your creative ability to write by reading books...if I would have learned that sooner, I probably wouldn't be making so many of the silly mistakes that I make now.

Anonymous said...

Hi D.

Thanks for your words on my blog. I will definitely check this book out.

I couldn't get the picture of your dog - can you resend?

Thanks

Terry